How to apply for a National Police Check
· Many companies can provide you with a National Police Check. The first step is to choose a company that you trust and feel comfortable applying through.
· Once you have chosen which company you wish to go through, you will typically be asked to complete an online application. This is usually a quick procedure which should not take up too much of your time.
· Next, you will be asked to confirm you are who you say you are by providing certain forms of identification. Acceptable identification is defined as providing the typical 100 points of identification as often used in Australia.
· Lastly, you will need to lodge your application by having copies of your 100 points of identification certified as true copies by someone who can witness statutory declarations.
· You will then need to post your application and documents to the appropriate company.
Timeframes for a National Police Check
Generally, you should expect to receive your police check back from your designated company within one to two days from the time they have received your posted application. This is not too long to wait for something so important, and it seems a triumph that companies can provide such speedy processing times for such a check, especially when many people move between states and thus their records in all states must be checked. If you are anxious about your application, many companies will allow you to track the progress of your application using basic information such as your surname, email and a reference number you have been given.
Proving the authenticity of a National Police Check
Once your police check has been finished, you will be emailed the results of this check. However, how can you prove to potential employers or others that your police check is genuine? Generally, the company that you have gone with will provide you with a reference number to allow those who wish to to verify your check on the company's website. Some companies will also give you a QR code which you or those who you give access to the code can scan using a mobile device to confirm the validity of your police check.
Costs of a National Police Check
You may think that the cost of a police check will be unbearably prohibitive, considering the costs of other work-related testing, security cards, etc. However, police checks are surprisingly affordable and as such should not prohibit people from applying to jobs or other opportunities on the basis of cost. One can get a National Police Check for as little as $12.34 including GST. This is a very reasonable amount.
Validity of a National Police Check
It will be up to your employer, future employer or any company or business who requests you to provide a police check on how long they will accept your police check. As a police check can only confirm your criminal record or lack thereof at a single point of time (the point at which it is checked), how long it is acceptable is up to whoever requests it. Often times, companies will accept a police check that has been done within the past year or two, perhaps even more. However, even if you must have one done more frequently than this, the low cost and speed at which you can obtain a new one should mean that it will be easy for you to obtain a new one whenever you require it.